Saturday, January 2, 2010

Happy New Year 2010!

This was, by far, one of my most favorite Christmas breaks ever! But I'll get to that later. First I want to say Happy New Year!!!! I'm so excited for 2010. I have new goals, and a new determination to make sure I keep them.

In less then 2 months I will be FORTY years old. I'm so excited, I can't even begin to explain it. Although, it really goes without saying. I have no regrets, well..okay maybe a couple bad dates here and there when I was single, but no real regrets.

In 1970 I was born to a young couple. He was raised in an orphanage/foster home. She was a Mexican imigrant learning the English language. It lasted a few years. She left, he kept the kids. Raised in Southern California by a single papa, it wasn't easy. I was reading a few letters he wrote to me when I was a teenager, and he described our family life as people living in a hotel. I think he was right. We lived in a gang infested area, and of course, being hungry for family we fell into the trap. First my older brother left us, and never really returned. Then my older sister left us, again we didn't ever see her again. When I was fourteen my dad was required to relocate to Midland Texas. I believe it saved my life. No longer in the varrio of San Fernando, I had to learn a new way of life. It was HARD.

Fast forward a few years, I was involved with a young man. Both being 16 years old we found ourselves expecting a child. I never really entertained the thought of adoption, but I had a long lost LDS cousin that offered to give me housing, and medical care, and a place in their family. I tried it, but it became aparent, there was more to the plan then just "helping" me. So I left.

Being a young mom was sweet. Really, really sweet. I don't regret any of it at all. My son was a huge blessing in my life. Of course the marriage didn't last. I grew up fast. I was a very responsible 17 year old mom. I was alone, with a small child. Things worked. Things worked really well for so long. Jobs kept coming, food was always there, education sort of happend. It was on a quiet afternoon that I realized God was indeed owed a great big "Thank you!"

Within a week, there was a knock at the door. Two handsome young men in suits were there to give me a message about Jesus Christ. Coincidence? Nah. I listened to them and was baptised. Amazing, especially since I had no religious teaching. My father didn't really believe in God. I remember him trying to convince me that the bible could not have been inspired.

After living as an LDS convert in Midland Texas a few years, I packed up my five-year-old child and moved West. Mesa seemed like a good fit. I remember spending 8 hours in my car on a Saturday morning to find the right place. I prayed like crazy and found my apartment. This would be the ward I would live in for the rest of my life. Really, that isn't an exaggeration. haha...

I met a really kind handsome young man at a singles dance an eternity later (three years). We just celebrated 14 years marriage in September. I'm so completely in love with Paul. He is everything that is good, and a little bit bad, and we balance each other out, and we have a ton of fun with most of what we do. We have the same ideas, goals, and beliefs. We accept people for who they are without judgement. We are not afraid of a different color skin, different religion, different life-style. We DO have a really hard time tolerating judgemental people. That's our major downfall. But back to our love story. We are so completely in love it's insane. I'm having the longest love affair of my life, and it gets more intense each year. Don't get me wrong, we fight. We have our disagreements. He does stupid guy things. I do stupid girl things. But we get over it pretty quickly, and move on. It's wonderful. He feels the same way. We argue about who loves the other more. I never thought it could be this good. Glad I kicked all those losers to the curb! Glad he was patient with me while we dated, and more so our first year of marriage when I went all psycho on him. (another story). But even that I don't regret. When a young single mom is in survival mode for as long as I was, it only makes sense that when the shoulder-to-rely-on presents itself, the emotions go a little crazy.

So here we are. With a great marriage. Great kids. A super stable life. I was thinking about our annual Christmas letter, and decided it's absolutely boring. I actually read through them and realized they are almost exactly the same every year. It then occured to me, THAT is our blessing. To have stability. To keep the kids in the same place. To have the same employements that we both love. To keep the same hobbies and goals with a little bit of a new challenge each year.

I'm turning 40 and wouldn't trade it for the world!!!

I'm not over the hill...
I'm on top of the world!
I love you Paul Shupe



This Christmas break we relaxed. We enjoyed time with each other. We played with the kids. We spent time with friends, and family. It was a sweet time, made sweeter when I realized the children were actually enjoying each others company.

I realize saying all this "out loud" may get me into trouble. But that's okay. My goals this year will help me through whatever comes my way. I am grateful to have had such a great 2009. My dad, by the way, was baptised this year by my (now 22 year old...remember, the five year old) son. I know that God lives, and loves us. I know that the Savior lived so that we can have a way to return to live with God. I also know that we are led today by an inspired prophet of God. For this knowlege I'm grateful and pray that I can be worthy of these great blessings by loving and helping this world as much as I can. In the name of Jesus Christ. A men.

p.s. and I plan on eating better and exercicing more!

No comments: